Saturday, July 25, 2015

Creamy Cucumber Salad

I'm so sorry I've been away so long.  Ever since we've become empty-nesters,  I've lost some of my zest for cooking.  {Cue the sad music} ...Here are a few reasons why -- sniff sniff --It's just the 2 of us now, we eat out with (& without) friends so often, there's no one to help with clean-up  (yeah, well Cowboy doesn't like to help).  I decided just THIS WEEK that I'm going to change my ways.   What my bossy, overbearing conscience said to my soft and pining heart was, "Hey!  So you're not cooking for 5 people!  So what?!  You don't know how to divide by 2 and make supper for you and your Cowboy?"   The bossy conscience is right.  {you can cut the sad music now}.

Introducing a recipe for 2....



When I was growing up, my grandmother would make a simple and delightful cucumber salad with thinly sliced cucumbers & onions, sugar, vinegar, some water....and I remember...ice cubes (to chill it quickly, suppose).  My Cowboy was not a big fan...so I changed it up a bit.  Here is the FOR TWO version of my...


 Creamy Cucumber Salad


Ingredients -

Dressing
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper


1 long cucumber (slender is better)
1/2 of small onion (cut in half between stem end and root end)

In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar, vinegar, dill, celery seed, salt & pepper.  Peel and thinly slice the cucumber.  Thinly slice the half of the small onion and separate into rings.  Add the cucumber and onions to the sour cream dressing.  Refrigerate a couple hours so the cukes can absorb the dressing.  Sometimes we can't wait that long - eating it right away is still good.  Ice cubes would not be a good idea.

We're finishing up the 2nd cutting of hay today.  That usually happens at the beginning of July around here.  For some farmers in the area this is their 1st cutting.  The rain has been brutal for Indiana and the whole Midwest.  Rain is in the forecast for this evening and the next few days.  Pray for everything to go smoothly- no injuries or breakdowns. 

I'm glad to be back on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment